Wednesday 18 January 2012

Vang Vieng!

After a night of transit in Vientiane, we arrived at Vang Vieng where we had planned to spend Christmas and New years. We had booked to stay in an open aired tree-house, oblivious to the fact that at this time of year the weather is similar to an English summer meaning it got quite cold at night. It wasn't unbearable though, and I was fine sleeping with a couple of layers on.
People go to Vang Vieng to go 'tubing', where you rent a rubber tube and float down the river stopping at bars along the way by catching on to ropes thrown from the shore, however on arrival we found that on most days it isn't even worth renting a tube; instead just drinking, dancing, and playing beer pong at the first few bars on the river. It was great fun, with such beautiful views of mountains in the background where there are apparently wild tigers and bears!
People run around with pens writing disgusting yet hilarious things on each other and the DJ plays the same playlist every day. I had a fantastic time, but it did remind me a bit of being 18 again at freshers.
Before I went to Vang Vieng I was told how dangerous it is, and on arrival you can see how easy it is to get injured on the zip lines and huge slides after copious amounts of alcohol, but anyone that knows me well knows I've never been much of a swimmer as I hate putting my face underwater and so I stayed away from them.
Unfortunately, like quite a lot of SE Asia, a lot of the bars have a curfew, although after a day drinking on the river this is probably a good thing.
I visited the blue lagoon there on one of the days of my stay which was gorgeous. The water really was so blue! We climbed up some steps to a cave where we explored a bit, but decided to chill out in the shade and listen to some music instead of climb further into the dark wearing flip flops.
I met some amazing people whilst there. Jess decided to stay there working at a bar, yet it just so happened that two boys we met, Steve and Tommy, were planning on going to Hanoi at a similar time as we had originally decided upon and so I joined them, and after four months together me and Jess parted ways.
Overall, I had a fantastic time in Vang Vieng. The music is cheesy, but the whiskey is free..

No comments:

Post a Comment